The Blue Gates Public House is a landmark building in Smethwick that sits on the old turnpike road that ran through the locality.
The building is thought to take its name from the toll gate that would have existed here and it probably refers to a blue barrier that would have been used at the toll gate to block the road until toll monies had been paid. The toll house can be seen still standing opposite and in front of the building.
The Blue Gates Hotel or Public House was opened in 1932 and records show that it takes its name from two earlier inns that were present on the same site.
The Blue Gates, 100 High Sreet, Smethwick, B66 1AA