The famous industrialists Matthew Boulton, James Watt and William Murdoch are remembered with this gilded bronze statue on Broad Street which was unveiled in 1956.
The statue stands on a plinth of Portland Stone and is located just in front of the former registry office. The figures are larger than life and are the work of William Bloye who was the head of sculpture at the Birmingham School of Art.
The statue may be moved nearer to The Rep in Centenary Square once work on the new libary is complete. Its current location was only ever supposed to have been a temporary site.
The three industrialists were all members of the Lunar Society and they would regularly meet at Soho House ( now a museum ) which was once the home of Matthew Boulton.
The statue was restored and re-guilded in 2006