St Philip's Cathedral was originally a church for the more well to do who did not wish to negotiate their way through the busy market area to get to church.
Although consecrated as a church in 1715, St. Philip's became a cathedral in 1905. The designer or architect, Thomas Archer, used baroque styling and ornate stone carving and crowned the cathedral with a tower formed of four concave sides.
This Anglican cathedral is small by city standards and miniscule in comparison with the great shire cathedrals such as Worcester, Gloucester and Hereford. It does however have its own individual character. The windows are by Burne-Jones of Birmingham and are excellent examples of pre-Raphaelite Art.
The cathedral is the smallest of the English cathedrals. It is built of brick and faced with stone like the town hall.