The Birmingham Arms has its roots in the family of de Bermingham dating back to the 14th century. When Birmingham became a city in 1889, the arms used by Birmingham became official and the design was changed to reflect the dynamic industry and modernisation of Birmingham.
The latest version of the Birmingham Arms was created in 1977. It reflects the incorporation of Sutton Coldfield into the city. The official design is used on seals and letters and adorns several buildings and government property. The design of the city flag is based on the Birmingham Arms. The flag can be seen flying daily at the Council House.