Snow Hill station which also includes the Midland Metro tram stop is located in the centre of Birmingham. It is built on the site of the old Great Western Railway station which was first constructed in 1852 and which is the second largest railway station in the city.
The original railway station was called Livery Street Station or Birmingham Station but was changed to Snow Hill Station in 1858. The station was an important link and main route to the City of London. It was rebuilt again in 1871 and further reconstruction took place between 1906 and 1912.
In its prime it used to be the main station for Birmingham. A large hotel, The Grand Western ( demolished in 1969 ) with its mosaic floors and opulent booking hall would have been an impressive site for arrivals to the city.
The old Snow Hill Station which was demolished in 1977 was much larger than it is today but this is mainly due to New Street Station being used as the main hub of the rail network for trains in and out of Birmingham.
Snow Hill Station re-opened in 1987 with a large multi-storey car park for its commuters.Snow Hill Station has four platforms, three of which are used for National trains and one which is used by Midland Metro trams.